Trump Revokes Secret Service Protection For Kamala Harris

Democratic Presidential Candidates Attend The South Carolina Convention

Photo: Getty Images North America

President Donald Trump has officially revoked Secret Service protection for former Vice President Kamala Harris.

According to a letter obtained by CNN, Trump reversed an order that granted Harris a year-long extension to her security detail, a move quietly made by former President Joe Biden before leaving office.

Federal law guarantees six months of protection for former vice presidents, a period that expired on July 21. However, Biden's undisclosed directive had authorized continued protection for Harris for another year.

Trump's new memo, titled “Memorandum for the Secretary of Homeland Security," ends Harris' security detail, effective on Monday (September 1).

“You are hereby authorized to discontinue any security-related procedures previously authorized by Executive Memorandum, beyond those required by law, for the following individual, effective September 1, 2025: Former Vice President Kamala D. Harris,” the memo states.

The move comes as Harris is gearing up for a multi-city book tour to promote her upcoming memoir, "107 Days," which chronicles her 2024 presidential campaign. The book is set for release on September 23.

Sources familiar with her security detail say the threat level surrounding Harris has remained high, due in part to her historic status as the first woman and first Black woman to serve as vice president. Those concerns have only intensified after her 2024 campaign season.

“The Vice President is grateful to the United States Secret Service for their professionalism, dedication, and unwavering commitment to safety,” Kirsten Allen, a senior adviser to Harris, said in a statement.

Several Democrats spoke out against Trump's move to terminate Harris' protection.

“This is another act of revenge following a long list of political retaliation in the form of firings, the revoking of security clearances and more,” said Los Angeles Mayor Karen Bass in a statement. “This puts the former Vice President in danger and I look forward to working with the Governor to make sure Vice President Harris is safe in Los Angeles.”

“The safety of our public officials should never be subject to erratic, vindictive political impulses,” a spokesperson for California Governor Gavin Newsom said.

The Black Information Network is your source for Black News! Get the latest news 24/7 on The Black Information Network. Listen now on the iHeartRadio app or click HERE to tune in live.


Sponsored Content

Sponsored Content